The geographical location and nature of Smiltene County create favourable conditions for various health-strengthening sports activities in nature. In the forests of Smiltene and the surroundings there are marked bicycle trails and well-maintained recreation areas near the lakes Niedrājs and Spicieris and Cērtene Castle Mound. More than 20 maps are made for orienteering sports.
Sports infrastructure of different levels is available in Smiltene County, which allows to organize competitions and championships of national and international level. The existing infrastructure serves as a training base for the county athletes in preparation for starts in professional sports, as well as for local residents to ensure a physically active and healthy way of life.
- Multifunctional sports complex “Teperis” – stadium with a 400 m running track with synthetic cover and eight tracks, two long jump sectors, high jump sector; javelin throwing sector, football field with synthetic cover; stadium tribune-service building with 250 spectator seats; four dressing rooms, tennis courts, karting track, autocross track, beach volleyball courts, and open hockey field.
- Smiltene Sports Hall – sports game hall with marked basketball, volleyball, handball, grass football fields; retractable stands for 150 spectators; aerobics hall, gym.
- Smiltene Secondary School sports complex.
- Hall of the Smiltene City Children’s and Youth Sports School.
- Sports complexes in schools of parishes.
- Smiltene Technical School sports complex.
- BMX Sports Complex in Silva.
- LLC “Mežroze IG” sports recreation base “Silmači”.